Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hit: Teriyaki Turkey Lettuce-Wrap Tacos

So I felt like being a little healthier this past week since I've literally been eating Godiva chocolates every single day since Valentines, it's disgusting. So beyond cutting out the chocolates, I kick started my plan with making up something I hoped would be healthy and tasty. I bought everything all natural and organic from the local KeyFoods (inherently gross, but they do carry organic itmes which are fairly priced). Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present you with my first HIT of the blog!

Teriyaki Turkey Lettuce-Wrap Tacos

ingrediants:
-ground turkey meat 
-grape tomatoes
-white mushrooms
-yellow onion
-asparagus
-hearts of lettuce
-brown rice
-teriyaki sauce
-salt
-pepper
-red wine

directions:
Prepare to be all over that oven, we're gonna have a lot of things going on at once. First get that brown rice cookin, if you've never cooked it before, it's annoying I warn you. I'd say use a 2 cup of water to 1 cup of rice ratio, more water is fine, you can always strain it later. Bring it to a boil, then let is cook for 30 mins, stir occasionally and after the timer is up, cover for 10 minutes to steam. While that's going we're gonna dice the onions, slice the mushrooms, and cut the grape tomatoes in halves. Fyi, I do everything by eye, I don't do that whole measuring thing haha. Heat the oven to 400degrees, once heated, pop in the asparagus for 20 minutes (baked asparagus is great). On the top of the oven  we're gonna start cooking the ground turkey meat. You're gonna have to keep an eye on it till it looks cooked, stir often, make sure it's all broken up good. In a large wok melt some butter and then throw in the onions and mushrooms. Salt and pepper them as they cook, after a few minutes add a thin layer of red wine and continue to cook it away. Add more wine if necessary till the onions and mushrooms are browned and fully cooked. When the meat is ready, transfer it over to the wok and poor in the teriyaki sauce, mix. Take off the heat and add in the tomatoes and stir. It's ready for assembly now. Take your lettuce leaves, put down a layer of brown rice and then top it off with the turkey / veggie mixture. 
It's tasty and fresh, I love my bread and tortillas but it was not missed in this equation. The lettuce is crisp and really adds a clean, freshness to the whole thing. It all just works together really great. This one's a HIT! ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment